Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Here I Am

"For I know the plans I have for you. "says the Lord. "They are plans for good and not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. In those days when you pray, I will listen. If you look for Me in earnest, you will find Me when you seek Me." Jeremiah 29: 11-13

I remember a very stressful time in my life. It just felt like everything and everyone was being stripped away from me. I felt so alone. Ironically this was also at a time when I was very close with the Lord. Funny how that happens. It is easy for us to think the closer we are to God, the easier our lives should be, right.

One particular night, after everyone was asleep, I turned out the lights and headed upstairs to go to sleep myself. On my way, I stopped and looked out the window at the sky. It was a clear night and the stars were out. I was burdened with so many decisions, some in my control, some not. I looked up at the sky and sighed and said "God, are You even out there?"  What a funny question. It was like I was looking into space for God to be floating around. Have you ever felt that way? Have you ever wondered if God is really paying attention and does He really care? I mean after all, how small are my problems when compared to others. God has a whole planet to look after, how could He possibly be concerned over my seemingly petty problems? Not to mention some of my problems I created myself. So should I really expect Him to come to my rescue each and every time?

The thoughts that go through our minds of being unimportant and unworthy are contrary to what God has to say about us. He has plans for us. Certainly if He has plans for us, He will see us through. If we were important enough to be created for a purpose, then we can believe we are important enough and He cares for every detail in our lives; small and big.

Here is something we need to understand about our God. He will not force His will on us. We always have a choice. He says He has a plan for us, plans for good and not disaster. But we are required to do something. We are to seek Him! He is not hiding from us, He is right here, but we must seek Him. What does that mean to seek Him if He is not hiding? This is what I think it means. I think He is saying to pay attention to Him. Don't ignore Him. Acknowledge His presence. Have you ever been with someone who was so preoccupied that if you left they would not even notice? If they did not notice your presence, then surely they wouldn't notice your absence.

When we care about someone we want to make time for them. We want to talk with them. We want to know them. Their thoughts matter to us. We respect their opinions and we listen to them. This is what we do in a healthy relationship. This is what God wants in a relationship with us. He wants a conversation. He wants to hear us and for us to hear Him. He said that when we pray He will listen. What is prayer? It is a conversation with our God.

So, back to my story.... I am looking out the window and I sigh and I say, "God are you even out there?" His answer, "I am right here."

Assignment: Take time for prayer. Everyday for the rest of this week, set aside time to get alone and sit in Gods presence. Share your heart with Him and then be still and listen for Him to share His heart with you.  

Prayer & Meditation: Thank you, Jesus, that you will never leave me. I am in awe that the creator of the heavens and earth cares enough about me to know my every concern and need. Help me, Holy Spirit, to learn to be still and wait on Him. Teach me how to pray. I acknowledge your presence, O' God, I love you and I thank you for loving me.

No comments:

Post a Comment