Monday, March 11, 2013

The Shame Game

There was a woman who looked for love in all the wrong places. Her marriage failed, she had one boyfriend after another. I imagine she was probably with so many men, heard so many empty lies, that she resigned herself to thinking that this is as good as it gets. No doubt, she felt ashamed and like a fool. She could not hold her head up and walk proud. Even when she was arm and arm with her lover, she felt judged, condemned and laughed at.

Yes, she felt like an empty shell, only to be used and discarded when she was no longer of use. Throughout all of these relationships, she forgot who she was. She lost her dreams, buried deep inside of her.

Then one day she met someone who changed her life. He was like no one she had ever met. He knew about her past and her present, yet He promised her a future. He didn't want her for what the others wanted her for. In fact, He only wanted one thing from her: her heart. Even if she refused, He was willing to love her anyway.

Can you imagine how she must have felt? Could this be real? Could someone possibly love us despite our past? Even the things that we have kept secret. So secret, that we are ashamed to even remember? Yet, here was this man, asking for a drink of water and wanting to give her so much more.

"....she said to Jesus, "you are a Jew, and I am a Samaritan woman. Why are you asking me for a drink?" Jesus replied, "If you only knew the gift God has for you and who I am, you would ask Me and I would give you living water." John 4:9-10

Are you weary? Does carrying that shame and hurt around wear you out? Do you wish someone could just see your heart and come to your rescue and tell you how precious you are and you matter?

My dear sweet sister, lay that shame down. He knows everything. There are no secrets with God. Some of the pain you suffer may be from willful choices you made and some of it may be from choices others made for you. It doesn't matter. He said "Come to Me all who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest". He said if you confess your sins He will throw them into the sea of forgetfulness, as far as the east is from the west, He will remember them no more. He will give you beauty for your ashes.

You matter. You are fearfully and wonderfully made and you are His beautiful daughter. Come away from what, or who, is holding you back from being the woman God has created you to be. Trust in Him, He will never let you down.

Assignment: Read John 4:1-26

Meditation & Prayer: Jesus, reveal to me Your truth. I confess all of my sins to You and I thank You for cleansing me and making me a new woman. I thank You for Your Holy Spirit as my reminder and teacher of how to be the the woman that You have created me to be. When I am weak and tempted, I will focus on You and I will trust Your strength and Your love. You are the creator and lover of my soul and I thank you for Your gentle kindness towards me.

No comments:

Post a Comment